Elevation: 3 ft (0.9 m)
Coordinates: 29°57′30″N 90°01′04″W
Area: 0.95 sq mi (2.5 km2)
land 0.68 sq mi (2 km2)
water 0.27 sq mi (1 km2), 28.42%
Population: As of the census of 2010, there were 2,714 people, 1,040 households, and 642 families residing in the neighborhood.
Area code: 504
Boundaries: St. Claude Avenue to the north, St. Bernard Parish to the east, the Mississippi River to the south and the Industrial Canal to the west.
The Neighborhood only has a 50% return rate after Katrina
Holy Cross School
In 1859 the Congregation of the Holy Cross purchased what was once known as Reynes Farm and built St. Isidore’s College , later known as the Holy Cross School, as an all-boys school. The neighborhood soon took its name from the school. The original campus at 4950 Dauphine Street was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, forcing the school to relocate to Gentilly. The site now stands abandoned with many redevelopment plans in the works. The Holy Cross Congregation did, however, donate a portion of the campus to the New Orleans Baptist Ministries. The group plans to open a health clinic at the site. The location at the 4900 block of St. Claude Avenue would be the only clinic serving the Lower 9th Ward, and sits on 3.5 acres of land, allowing room for expansion. The Holy Cross School, in August 2012, sold a portion of the old campus to Perez Architects. Perez plans to build a 180-unit riverfront apartment complex. Opposition from the neighborhood stems from the believed negative impact of the 132 foot building structure on the historic nature of the neighborhood. Supporters of the plan, however, say that the project, which also calls for storefront and restaurant development, will bring money to the area which currently has a 50% population return rate.